Sunday, March 14, 2010

Long-Term Results

One of the hardest times for me, prayer-wise, is when I pray for something or somebody and I know I will never live long enough to see the outcome of that prayer. It's not just because I am 70 now. I felt that way when I was decades younger. Some prayers may never be answered, not in the way I would like to see.

When I run into those situations, I try to remember to always add something like, "Not my will, but thine be done." That's the easiest phrase to add. Sometimes I just talk to God in those cases. Something like, "I know I might not ever see this happen, but if it fits in with your plans, I pray for a happy outcome."

Tonight I prayed about two friends. Both are going through troublesome, stressful times in their jobs. I prayed not for peace at their jobs, but for peace within their hearts and souls. That inner peace is what makes anything bearable. Still, I may never live to see it.

I know there are things my mother and father probably prayed for, about me, and they never lived to see their prayers answered. Still, it did not stop them from praying. And it will not stop me. I cannot let my timing keep me from praying for good results in God's timing.

Dear God, remind me when I need it, that in the end, it is all up to you, and that you know what is best for each of us, and even for the world in general.

No comments: