Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Blessed Nap

Sleep. How wonderful it is. I used to pray for "just an hour's nap" to refresh myself during my hectic days. I realized after a while that, quite often, God merely grants me fifteen minutes, or a half hour, but often that is just right, just enough. My sister used to call it "re-charging."

Late this afternoon, I hit an unexpected bonus in my day. I managed to take a shower at 3:50pm, a rare time of the day but I felt I really needed to wash some stress down the drain. Immediately after, for some odd reason, I flopped onto the recliner, put up the footrest, and promptly fell sound asleep.

Forty-five minutes later, I woke up. I felt more refreshed and more at peace than I have in many months. I don't know why. Instead of questioning it, as I normally would, I thanked God right away. I was blessed and I knew it.

It doesn't mean I won't be stressed again tomorrow, or the whole rest of the month. What it does mean is that God blessed me for that wonderful period of time, for exactly how long he knew I needed it.

I think I am cured of asking him for a specific length of time. I simply need to trust him to give me what I need, when I need it.

Father, thank you, with all my heart and soul, for that simple but wonderful gift, that blessed nap, today.

No comments: