Monday, October 5, 2009

Prayer Loophole Clause

I know, as many of us do, that our prayers are not always answered in the way we expect. They are answered in the way that God knows is best for us.

However, it is always a joy to see a prayer answered in the way that I requested. I trust, at those times, that God agrees that it was just fine to give me what I asked for, exactly as I asked, because most times, when I pray, I do try to add, "...yet not my will, but thine, be done." That is my "loophole" clause. That way, I feel comfy enjoying a favorable answer to a prayer.

The reason I mention this type of answer is because I have seen quite a few favorable answers lately. True, not all of my prayers are answered as I expect. But it brings a smile to my face, and a "Thank you, Lord" in my heart, when it happens.

It is not wrong to expect him to answer. The old Jewish patriarchs almost literally demanded that God keep his promises to them. I suspect they sometimes misunderstood what some of those promises really entailed. They expected favorable answers and they did not mind saying so, directly and adamantly. Unfortunately, because the "loophole clause" was not stated in their prayers, when they asked for food on their march, for example, they quickly grew tired when they had to put up with manna, a pretty tasteless but nutritious and convenient answer to their prayers.

So, learning from the past, I try very hard to always add that phrase. It prepares me to deal with the answer as God knows it should be given me. Expecting the unexpected leaves me open for the joy of receiving what I wanted, and knowing he knows it fits in with his plans for me.

Dear God, thank you for favors received and please, always remind me to remember to add, "not my will, but thine, be done," leaving me open to what I really need, not to only what I want.

No comments: