Saturday, September 19, 2009

Traffic Woes

I was out in traffic a few times today and it was a wild and crazy, or at least, reckless, bunch out there. Mostly, when I see that, I find a "quiet" lane and just stay there and let them all go around me, if possible. It's hard enough to keep focused on my own driving, and not let my mind wander, let alone watch out for these others.

Truth be told, I know I am also guilty of being distracted at times on the road. This is one of the reasons that I wrote a special prayer about that for my Busy Person's Prayer Book. All those prayers are quick-and-easy four-line rhymed verse, sort of like the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep prayer from our childhood.

The thing is, I needed a prayer that would cover those other drivers, and me, as well. I am not stupid enough to think that I am always totally, absolutely, completely focused on that road and every other driver nearby, all at the same time. In this world today, that is almost literally impossible. So, I admit I need God's help in this matter. Today I found myself saying my little prayer an amazing number of times.

Father, help me to remember my little prayer when I most need it; help me to pray for the safety of other drivers and pedestrians and please protect us all from the distractions of others as well as the distractions I face myself.

No comments: