Monday, July 13, 2009

Our Brother’s (or Sister’s) Keepers

Lately I have been worried a lot about my sister. She is younger than me by 11 months, being 69 at present. She and I will be the same age until I reach 70 in September. She is in a nursing home in a neighboring state and I haven’t been to visit her in almost four years. She has Parkinson’s, Diabetes, COPD, is Bipolar, and a few other issues. These days, the Parkinson’s is causing the most distress. She can no longer get out of bed alone and into her wheelchair and roll down the hall to chat with the staff at the Nurse’s Station when she is lonely. She needs help to transfer to her wheelchair and they must roll her. Most times, she needs to be fed because she drops too much food and wasn’t getting enough inside of her.

My finances are so bad, I could not pay for the phone I’ve been covering for her for these past few years. I miss being in touch with her these past few days, and I pray hard for this to turn around. I know I cannot be her caregiver - she needs 24 /7 skilled care. But I felt as though I was giving her some support by being just a phone call away, sending a goodie box once a week, that kind of thing.

Some folks tell me I should not worry. That doesn’t work for me. My mom and dad brought us three kids up during hard times, but we were always taught to care for each other. Yes, I am my sister’s keeper. Maybe not as much as I wish I could be, but certainly as much as I can be.

Dear Lord, you know I want to help my sister in any way you expect me to; please help me in the ways you know I need help, and thank you for her and my brother.

No comments: