Saturday, July 25, 2009

Doing What I Love

Now that I am getting older, I tend to concentrate more and more on patterns that I love. I still try many new patterns, but once I find something that I like to do, I make that item often. Those projects are easier because I become familiar with the pattern which then becomes second nature. They are easier because they look better because I have made them many times over. And they are easier because I love them and find joy and pleasure in watching them develop in my hands, knowing ahead of time how they will turn out.

Folks who receive or buy these items from me tell me how nice they look, how much they like them. Some patterns seem complicated to someone else, but obviously I have managed to get past that and enjoy them. This makes the recipient think I am wonderful for doing the work involved in the project. That makes me feel so good inside.

It also makes me smile because I know the secret - I did it because I love to do that pattern.

My favorites in the summer are the can cozies. I know I just wrote about these on the 11th, but they are a perfect example for tonight’s topic. No matter where we live, we have hot days and drink cold beverages. The containers sweat and drip. The ice melts quickly. The drinks do not stay as cold as long as we would like. These cozies fit soda and beer cans, and water bottles, and many size glasses.

I developed a way to put a popcorn stitch around the top so that our hands only slide up so far on the container. I make them from cotton worsted, which is more absorbent. They are fun and they are practical. What a neat combination for a craft-addicted person like me.

No comments: