Saturday, July 25, 2009

Adapting to Bumps in Life’s Road

The older I get, the more I realize that life constantly changes. There are so many bumps on the path that it makes sense to adapt to them, to get over them, rather than to stop dead when one appears. It is easier to deal with changes that to refuse to deal with them. Refusing to deal with life’s changes just makes life more difficult. Life is difficult enough as it is, so I would rather make it easy for me when I can do so.

That doesn’t mean that I always find it easy to change. I have to admit that I tend to like routine. I do enjoy some spontaneous fun, and some surprises (not many surprises, just some), but mostly I like routine. So how do I deal with changes?

I deal with them right away.

The first thing I do is decide whether there is anything I can do to avoid the change or get around it or make it go away. If not, the next thing I do is figure out the first step I can take toward making it easier to deal with. If I’m going to have to upset my beloved routine, then I definitely want to make it as easy as I can.

I just am not built to be one of those older people who say “I am too old to change.” It is too hard on my nerves to be that stubborn and unyielding. Besides, some of the changes have turned out to be wonderful, once I adjusted to the idea.

No comments: