Monday, May 11, 2009

Charity Crafting

There are so many websites devoted to crafters who donate to specific charities today that it makes my head spin. They are wonderful, of course. There’s no doubt about that. For cancer patients, for preemies, for prayer shawls, and more.

We just began a group in my senior mobile home community, though, for local donations. At first, I was a little sad that very few showed up each Friday for those two hours. It has surprised me to see what we have accomplished, however, on a purely casual basis. We haven’t even chosen the specific places to donate yet, but we all agree on local, and on the neediest.

One Friday, Ingrid and her SIL, Louise, will show up; another week, Mary and me and Peggy; yet another Friday, just me and Ingrid. Each time, the ladies work on whatever suits their mood or fancy that day; each time, I end up taking something home to tuck in the plastic tote I have earmarked for those items.

In just 4 Fridays, we have accumulated 8 preemie sets (shirt and hat), 4 preemie shirts, 2 scarfs for the homeless, 1 shawl for a nursing home, and a dozen pairs of fingerless gloves for the homeless. I am stunned by what we have done, just our little quartet.

Thank you, Lord, for showing us how easy it is to help those in need, just one person helping one person at a time, and continue to guide our hands and minds in this effort.

No comments: