Friday, August 8, 2008

The Not-So-Simple Square

This past week, I’ve fallen in love with crocheting 12” squares. They will eventually be part of afghans or lapghans. What fascinates me is the huge, almost infinite variety of patterns that is out there today on the Internet for the simple square.

Do a search for the words “crochet, square, free, pattern” and add either 12” or 6” or “granny.” It is incredible. There are squares inspired by fruit (pineapple, etc.), by flowers, by birds, by constellations, by hobbies, by television shows, and more.

The simple square might be a very involved and complicated series of stitches. It can be even more involved depending on the choice of color(s), yarns (acrylic, wool, and more), and size. Many, if worked in thread with a small hook, could easily become tablecloths or runners or placemats. Some are lacey and lightweight. Others are dense and warm and sturdy. The sturdy ones could also be the fronts and backs of handbags or tote bags.

Right now, I cannot stop myself from making them. Every time I catch a free moment (and I do not have many of those), I grab my WIP bag or container, and make a few more.

Yes, I’m in love with them. And I am in awe of the people who designed and created these patterns. I keep coaxing myself into creating some new designs but I’m too busy trying all the ones that already exist. It may be a very long while before I try designing some of my own.

No comments: