Thursday, August 7, 2008

Fortitude

I have a lot on my plate. Life, or God, has placed a lot of chores or burdens in my lap. Or, if I look at it the way I should, a lot of opportunities to help others, to be of service. Many days, I have a hard time making myself tackle these issues. Sister Jolancia is responsible for many of the times I just push forward and do it.

Sister Jolancia was both my home room teacher, freshman year, in parochial high school, and also my freshman World History teacher. Many of my former classmates, even today, 50 years after we graduated, disliked her methods, and her, intensely. I was fortunate enough to gain from what she tried to teach me.

In freshman year, I was an eager student. However, World History, during the Middle Ages, bored me. I loved Ancient History, Modern History, and other eras, but drew the line at being interested in the Middle Ages. I aced my written tests because I had always found it easy to memorize facts. I never raised my hand during those sessions. At year end, I received a 70, just enough to pass and avoid flunking out. I cried. I was an Honor Roll student except for that mark. I thought she was the cruelest teacher on this earth.

I asked her why she had done this. In effect, she said she knew I could have done better. She said that life will hand me many things like Middle Age History and whether I liked it or not, I’d have to do it. She said it was easier to do it and get it over with, and I needed to learn that. She said I might not like her for doing it, but it had to be done. She said I should have done better.

She was right. I got over the bad grade. I should have done better. Today, 50 years later, whenever I face something that must be done, but I dislike doing it, I think of her, and I just do it and get it over with. Sister Jolancia has long left this earth, but her lessons, especially this one, is engraved and beloved in my heart.

Father, fill me with the gift of fortitude when I need it most.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I wish someone had done this for me. Maybe I wouldn't fight having to do the dishes or the laundry quite so much if someone had pressed me to do the unpleasant things more often.

Thank you for your insight. Something I needed today.

Shelly

Evelyn Mayfield said...

I'm probably the only one who ever appreciated what she tried to teach us about life itself. My other classmates, to this day, disliked her intensely. I hope my little post reached her in heaven the day I wrote it.
Hugs
Evie