Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Media - New Crafts

It’s amazing to see all the new materials and tools that are available for handcrafters today. Computers play a large part in this world of new crafting media. I wonder, though, where we’ll draw the line between “crafts” and “desktop publishing.”

This interests me because I’ve long wanted to get the transfer paper they sell at office supply stores and create some graphics to put on tee-shirts. I want to also create and design bumper stickers, another item that can be generated by my computer. Then there are greeting cards, posters, mugs, and more.

At craft fairs, would these be considered fair game? I think so, under certain conditions. If the design or pattern or slogan are something I design myself, from my own head, then I “crafted” it. But if I take clip art, or a photo, and convert it and produce it, using my computer, for wear or whatever, then I could not, in fairness, call that handcrafted.

These paper-crafts or computer-generated crafted works are definitely the product of my imagination. However, can they be said to be “hand-crafted”? I don’t think so. Crafted, yes. Hand-crafted, no. Tricky stuff, here. But a fun idea to play around with. It bears examination and consideration. It’s a topic that needs to be clarified down the line.

Dear Father, guide me so that I might avoid describing my work as something it is not, and so that I may let my little light shine when it is deserving of it.

No comments: