Saturday, May 24, 2008

God Answers His Way

Early in 2001, I had lived in apartments for over 30 years and I was ready for a home. Jane, a family friend 11 yrs older than I, and her middle-aged son, had shared my problems and we had all shared household joys and miseries for over 30 years. I was 60 and had just survived colon cancer. With my recent bankruptcy showing, we knew a real house and real land was out. We needed an owner-financed mobile home on a rented lot. We would do this together because not one of us could do it alone. I prayed. Hard.
I had a small windfall from a former employer. I had two months, until Mar 31, to find a home and move. The last week of January, we thought God had answered our prayers. We loved the 8 pine trees behind the little mobile home. It needed work, but we were ready. The one bedroom and one bath wasn’t bad. Jane and I had each grown up with sisters and could easily share that. The broker would build a second bedroom and bath. Finding the home had taken a week out of our tight schedule. Two days before we planned to hand over the money, we felt an urging to visit the Park manager. We discovered we had been deceived. The community only allowed two persons per unit, not three. We were devastated. We called the broker and pulled back our offer. What would we do now? It had seemed to be an answer to our prayers and now we had only 3 weeks left. Why had God failed us?
During the next week, we looked at another home. Much bigger, much newer, nicer community, and the wonderful woman of Faith who was selling it loved us as we loved her, at our first meeting. Enough bedrooms and bathrooms for all. We have been here seven years and have never regretted God’s answer to our prayers.

No comments: