Saturday, October 8, 2016

Amazing Blessings

There are many ways folks can choose to deal with the bumps on life's road. I choose to deal with them head on whenever possible.
The rusted, corroded, severely leaking galvanized pipes under my 40-year-old mobile home have become my latest challenge.

Things are moving along. With prayer, I have found ways to keep calm and avoid stress as much as possible. It is not as bad as it might have been. I have chosen to see it as a warning, a helpful hint from the Lord that I've got to pull my head out of the sand and do something about this before it's a real mess.

Contractors came yesterday. I had already cancelled my yard sale and cleared access to the skirting for them.

This is something I've dreaded for quite a few years. It is time.

For now, I cannot run the water. I go outside several times a day (morning, mid-day, and evening) and turn it on long enough to fill the bathroom tanks and do a few things like attend to dentures, change dishwater, or a quick shower (very quick). The boys suggested no more than a half hour. I'm keeping it to 20 minutes.

At first, I had planned to heed a neighbor's advice. He's afraid the pressure of turning it on and off will weaken and shake the pipes and make them really snap open (instead of a strong, audible leak). I tried that yesterday. Did not turn it on and off at all, except when the boys did that for about 3 minutes while checking it. But this morning, early, I did. And it was rusty at first. I do not want more troubles. I have decided to trust my contractor and take my chances. We're talking about a possibility of 2 to 3 months, here, until I get enough funds to re-pipe, if that soon.

Meanwhile, I told the fellow who was going to help me carry tables this weekend that the yard sale was "off" and of course he asked why. When he realized I was without running water, more or less, he popped up over here an hour later Thursday evening with 10 one-gallon bottles he had, and he had filled them with water for dishes, etc., to cut down on the number of times I need to turn-on/turn-off. What a blessing.

For me, the most difficult part will be when they do the work because they must come inside and take a panel or two from the walls in two places, to connect the new good pipe to the connectors inside. I hate folks working inside my home, and the cat will be terrified. But it will be for just a  few hours, when and if I get to that point.

All in all, God is still, as always, watching over me. 

More than this, I pray for blessings and help for all those in the path of Hurricane Matthew - now that, my friends, is big trouble, not the inconveniences I am facing. They are in big, big trouble.

For now, I do ask for prayers for wisdom, patience, and stamina. It's not that bad; I've lived through worse, but I was much younger then, of course.

Sweet Jesus, I ask for your help and understanding. I realize you did not have running water and what I am going through would have literally been a luxury during your days on earth. But I trust in your love and compassion and ask that I may see the answers you place before me and that I am not blind to them. Meanwhile, please, please watch over those in the hurricane's path.

No comments: