Saturday, July 30, 2016

It's All In How We Look At It

Back on the 13th, I posted (here) about needing instructions on how to hook up old equipment: analog tv, VCR, converter box, and indoor antenna. I've prayed on it and have searched for info. Today I was thrilled because I found an excellent graphic that laid the whole thing out on a government site. It was SO easy to hook everything up.

However, when I inserted a VHS tape to test it, the tape rolled but wouldn't display on screen. I remembered something from years ago about setting things to either Ch 3 or 4. I flipped a little switch behind the VCR. The TV was too old to have that switch, so I clicked the remote (I have to use the converter box remote) to find a setting. Somehow I hit something wrong and now I can't even get a picture on the TV. Sound is great but there are only jagged and diagonal lines on the screen.

I can't find the manual so I went online but couldn't find one there. Finally found the RCA Facebook page and sent them a message asking how to reset it without being able to access the Menu on screen. So, I've been without anything in the living room since 3 this afternoon.

Here is the situation. I really felt badly about this mess. I kept blaming myself for being so stupid, hitting a selection on the Menu before I really understood it. And I blamed myself for putting away the converter box manual so safely that I will probably never find it. And I blamed myself for the brief moments of self pity. I had been so proud of myself for getting it hooked up. Pride truly does goeth before a fall.

All of this aside, it isn't the end of the world. Inconvenient, perhaps. Avoidable, perhaps. But when I think about folks dealing with floods, or with polluted drinking water, or getting shot for no reason, and all the other ills in the world, it is nothing.

Having grown up Catholic, many routine prayers roam around in my head. One, in particular, is always good for me to recall at times like this. We always called it the "Glory Be..."  It says: "Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen"

Every time I say that in my "elder" years, it brings home to me that I am a mere speck in time.

Father, thank you for reminding me today that this is nothing in the scheme of things. Yet, even though I am just a speck in time, and you deal in eternity, you still take time to comfort me with these thoughts and your love. I made a lot of progress today on that hookup and for that I sincerely thank you. Please send me all the patience and trust I need while I await the solution.

No comments: