Monday, May 9, 2016

Health Studies - Hazardous to Our Health

I think I am getting very sick of health studies that tell us which foods are good for us and which are bad for us.

I finally, finally, weaned myself off whole milk, over 10 years. I have actually learned to like and enjoy 1% milk, skim milk, and even powdered milk. Now a new study says that whole milk is best for us. Apparently because it is richer, we drink less of it per serving (yeh, right!). They say further that the whole milk has more beneficial "stuff" in it (don't ask - I've quit caring).

It took me years to get off regular coffee in the 80s, and into decaf. Then off decaf in the 90s and totally off of coffee. Now they say a cup or two a day is beneficial. Do they mean their cup (6 or 8 oz) or do they mean the cup we drink these days (16 oz thermo mugs)? No matter - I'm back on the stuff - fully charged, whole coffee, regular, for sure.

And I tried and tried to wean myself off chocolate. Now they say dark chocolate is advantageous and healthy - I really don't care. I only seem to be able to quit chocolate of all types during Lent's 40 days and nights. Aside from that, I'm gonna let it all hang out. Or hang over, or whatever.

Yep, I'm ready to give up. All those studies get us all hyped up, all worried, all stressed out. The studies themselves are hazardous to our health - I wonder if anyone has ever done a study about the mental effects on folks who read and believe them. Can that stress and worry cause bad reactions in our bodies? Can we get really, really sick from just reading those studies?

The advice about "all things in moderation" is probably the best of all. It will be my food motto - until I see the next study!


No comments: