Saturday, October 1, 2011

Praying Instead of Speaking

Anyone who has been reading my Prayer Power posts, even if only off and on, these past three years, knows that one of my biggest faults is speaking when I shouldn't. This usually occurs when I feel someone is wrong and I feel obligated to correct them. Or, equally as often, when someone baits me or otherwise speaks in conflict and I feel I must tell my side of the issue as well.

I have posted wonderful, beautiful quotes (in "Silence is Golden but I am Rusty") that I try to read daily to help me avoid speaking when it will not help the situation. I do realize that there are times when, as Christians, we are expected by the Lord God himself to speak up. But the majority of times that I am concerned about are the times when speaking doesn't help the situation. Instead, it often inflames emotions.

Today, once again, I realized instead of my fighting the urge to speak up at these times, I should be praying.

However, I ran into a roadblock. At first, I caught myself getting ready to pray that the other person would be blessed with the knowledge that I was right. Oooops. That set off alarms in my soul.

Then, I tried praying that the other person would realize they were wrong. Another "Ooooops." More alarms.

By now, my spiritual ears were ringing and I was woozy from all this soul-searching.

So how, then, should I pray at a time like this? Obviously I need to pray for wisdom. Once again, as in the past, the prayer adopted by AA comes to mind, the Serenity Prayer. Because it is so very well known, it is quick to call to mind. And, once again, I will probably choose this prayer, as often as I can, to try to reverse my stubborn soul's direction. I know that when I do this, speak when it is not helping, I am actually holding even the Lord back from his work. I surely do not want to continue to do that. He has enough trouble with me as it is.

Father, I will try, as often as possible, to remember that little prayer because it does say what is in my heart at this moment. If it will help me avoid these conflicts, please bless me with your whisper as a reminder when I need it.

No comments: