Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Silence is Golden, but I am Rusty

Once again, I am drawn to discuss my inability to keep my mouth shut when opening it does not earthly good.

Last December, I wrote one of my best posts (at least in my own advice to myself). I loved it because it had several quotes about holding one's tongue, quotes that I related to at that time. I came across it several days ago. I wish I had remembered it this afternoon. My stupid mouth initiated a shouting match in our household.

I know that nothing I say during these conflicts will change anything. Yet, my stubborn nature makes me keep on trying.

Why can't I be more like Jesus himself? He never raised his voice to his defamers, his tormenters, his accusers. What he endured was so much worse than this simple, petty household dispute. Shouldn't I at least be able to learn to hold my tongue?

Well, yes, I should. Why can't I? Perhaps because I never know when it will happen so I cannot pray about it in advance.

What to do, then?

I think I will copy the quotes in that December post, to a file, and plop the file onto my computer desktop. Each morning, I will click on that, and review and think about those quotes. Hopefully, that, along with prayer, will keep my mind in the right mode.

Thank you, Jesus, for being my example, my mentor, my guide. Forgive my petty ego. Fill me with the desire to "do" right, not to insist that I "am" right.

No comments: