Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Making an Etsy Banner - Finally

After over two years, I finally figured out how to make an Etsy Banner for my shop. For all that time, I used a beautiful banner and avatar designed for me by Thompsondesigns.

I just searched for her tonight and she seems to be out of business. Then again, she might have chosen another name for her shop in an expansion or other renovation. It served me well for a long time.

Lately, however, I craved a banner with images of my handmade items. Every Etsy help I could find about banner-making referred to Photoshop instructions. I do not have, have never had, and probably never will have, Photoshop.

Tonight, I got smart. I did a search and found that PowerPoint can be used. I expanded my search to specify PP 2003, my system's version.

I was thrilled to find great instructions. Of course, I'm a little rusty on PP because I haven't used it in years. The details were great, though. I finished my new banner. I love it. Check it out



I will tweak it a bit, getting rid of the smidgeon of an image at the rightmost end, and maybe removing the image of my Busy Person's Prayer Book. The image is too small for anyone to read the cover. I'll probably replace it, this week, with one of my beverage cozy images.

At this point, I'm ready to tackle a new Etsy avatar. This was really fun. It only took an hour or two, a lot of mumbling under my breath, and a lot of tweaking, saving, tweaking, saving...well, you know the drill. It was worth it, I think.

Maybe it will give one of you the courage to try your own banner, too. If so, enjoy the process, and all good wishes to you.

No comments: