Thursday, September 29, 2011

Handmade Christmas Gift Ideas - Money Shirt

Tonight's handmade Christmas gift idea is for a money shirt made with an origami technique. Although some of you might think you cannot do this, think again. The link here is to a very good tute with excellent folding photos and instructions. I have tried a rose, a ring, and other money origami patterns, and this is the ONLY one I can make. Hopefully, this tute will have you saying the same thing.

The photo is of a Dollar Bill Shirt I made myself. I have been making them for years and have them in my Etsy shop. I place them in little zippered plastic bags with a message on each one. I created some messages for them, and I'll share them here with you...

On dollar shirts, put:
Genuine Buck-skin Shirt, Made in the U.S.A.

On bills higher than a dollar, put:
Genuine American Presidential Portrait Shirt

This dollar shirt looks best with the older dollars because the word "One" looks like the front placket. I have often taken a ten to the bank, with one of these to show the teller why I was asking, and requested ten crisp but older dollar bills. I have seen them pass it around and scramble trying to help me get enough older bills for me.

This site has tons of other ideas as well. Maybe you will be better at folding than I am. I am happy with these little shirts. I can make them on the spot and have given them as tips many times.

For other projects in my series, just look along the right sidebar for the label "Christmas Gift Projects." I hope to post only tips that do not require knitting, crocheting, machine sewing, tatting, embroidery, or any other skilled technique.

No comments: