Saturday, June 18, 2011

Keeping Those Scissors Sharp the Easy Way



Crafters do a lot of cutting with their scissors, a lot. Some materials dull the blades quicker than others. Still, down the line, it is very frustrating to try to cut something and have it bend rather than be cut. Sharp scissors are not only important, they are necessary. So, here's my personal solution.

I tuck a piece of aluminum foil into any group of supplies that contains a pair of scissors used for crafts. When the blades become dull, I pull out the piece of foil and begin cutting it with the scissors. Fold the foil at least once and begin cutting one way, into little strips that almost go to the top edge. Then, turn it the other way and cut between the first cuts.

To be honest, it doesn't matter which way you cut, so long as you cut all the way up to the joint of the two blades. This keeps the entire cutting edge sharp on both blades. I try to go through at least two thicknesses, when at all possible.

This is a quick and easy way to sharpen those scissors.

As for foil sources, any foil can be used. I remember when a dear friend was on a nebulizer. Her meds came in little foil pouches, about 4 inches square. I kept saving those and plopping them in with our crafts. She did plastic canvas and that is one craft that really dulls the scissors quickly.

I have also used foil that protects my printer toner cartridges. If you keep your eyes open, you will see foil here and there, as long as it doesn't have food on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great tip! I followed your link from Penny's Hands site where I first found this tip. It is an excellent one. :)