Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Body's Rightful Owner

Somewhere during the middle of my life, about two decades ago, I realized that I didn't own my body. Forget all the commercials and modern philosophy that says we own our bodies and we have a right to do what we want with them. I do not believe that. I am not criticizing anyone who does feel like that. But just as they have a right to their opinion, I have a right to mine.

Along my life's travels, I suddenly realized that my body is on loan to me. I was given, in my case, a reasonably healthy body as an infant. Some are not so blessed. I believe that when God calls me home, I should be returning that body in pretty good condition.

Well, I've sure messed up along the way. Many, many times I have abused this body by eating the wrong things, by doing the wrong things, by living the wrong way. I expect I have a lot of explaining to do to its rightful owner; a lot of explaining.

That doesn't mean I cannot try to change my pattern. I still have time. I do not know how much time I have. But I will try to do better by my body's rightful owner. I might mess up. But hopefully, I'll do right more often than not.

Father, forgive me for what I've done to this body you've loaned to me. Please guide me for the rest of the time I have it, that I might take better care of it.

No comments: