Sunday, June 20, 2010

Letting Go of Unnecessary Commitments

Because of a recent health issue, nothing horrible, just requiring some adjustments in my routine, I've been letting go of some commitments.

At first, I felt guilty. Also, choosing which ones to stick with and which ones to let go, worried me. I prayed a lot for guidance on this.

I finally realized that there were some things that other people could do as well as, or even a lot better than, I could. So those are the things I will let go. I will stop organizing our monthly potlucks. Others are better at that - it will give someone else a chance to come forth. Setting up a driver safety class once a year - that can easily be done by someone else. There are a few other things I can stop and give someone else a chance to take charge.

I will happily keep my commitment to some other things like the mobile home park month newsletter because I cannot help being a writer and editor and I love it. Do not judge this blog as a sample of my writing because I knock this out in a hurry and I do not do a lot of editing or proofreading. My blog is "casual." My writing and editing, I take seriously. Not that I'm not serious about the blog. Looks like I'm getting off track.

Anyhow, there are some things I am better at than others, and I'll continue to do those things. The newsletter, keeping our charity crafters together each week and finding places for the things we make, my online store, this blog, some books I've wanted to finish (a children's story book, book of verses, a look at the humorous side of the working life, things like that).

As the saying goes, for everything there is a season. The season for some of my obligations is past; I need to free my time and energy up for the things that are in this season.

Dear Father, thank you for helping me see where I can easily step down and let someone else step forward; and continue to guide me so I may do the things you trust me to do.

No comments: