Saturday, July 18, 2009

Accepting Help

I’ve written about this before. It used to be very difficult, if not impossible, for me to accept help. I gave help freely, but I was very independent about taking it in return. It took me a long time to realize that independent was not the right word. Refusing to accept help from others was very arrogant and definitely against God’s wishes.

If Jesus himself accepted help in carrying the cross, who am I to refuse to accept help? Like lots of others, I told myself that I didn’t want or need charity. Again, very arrogant of me.

I am happy that I have begun to change that attitude. Yesterday, our air conditioner went out on us. In this 110+ desert heat, that is not good. This 30+ year old mobile home quickly went up to 110 inside. The whole day was almost unbearable - thank heaven we had ceiling fans which we’d installed, one every other year, cheap ones but effective. They couldn’t cool much - they did keep things circulating, though. Anyhow, I needed help. I had less than $50 in cash and nothing in the bank. I called a neighbor with a background in A/C, in his 60s, and who also has a full-time job. I thought perhaps he could diagnose it and tell me how bad it was. Wonder of wonders, he was off that day. Talk about the Lord looking out for us. Any other day, and we’d have missed his help.

He not only diagnosed it, he fixed it. He put the money out of his own pocket for a new motor (the cheapest one, but a working one) and two capacitors. Again, with God’s help, this man’s son is currently working at an appliance repair center and we were able to get a discount. The son came to help after 5:30 pm when he got off work. Bottom line - I gave them cash I had, and will pay the rest as soon as possible.

The main point here is that a few years ago, I was still resisting help. I wouldn’t ask for it. I still have a hard time doing it directly; many times, I hint around, but I have changed. I realize the arrogance of thinking I am too special to accept anyone’s help. I am so grateful to this man and his son. And to all of the folks who have helped me.

Thank you, Lord, for sending me the grace to allow others into my life to help when it is needed; thank you for sending them my way.

No comments: