Friday, May 22, 2009

Flower Power

Today we hit 100 degrees even though we were forecasted to only reach 95 or less. In the evening, I took some Cosmos seeds I found during my recent de-cluttering efforts, and plopped them into some pots at the end of the driveway. I am not lucky with plants and flowers, but I thought I’d try them anyway. They look pretty on the seed packet cover, and they remind me of Petunias, which have a funny name but a lovely delicate appearance. The Cosmos and the petunias made me realize some truths about life.

I don’t know how old the seeds are, but planting them gave me hope that they might sprout. Life is like that. Often, we recall an old idea we once had, an idea we had planned to follow through, but then we get sidetracked. Those flowers will never sprout, grow, and bloom, until the action of planting the seeds takes place. All my stashed and stored ideas will never bloom if I do not take action. I must re-activate my old habit of a daily to-do list. It is the only way I will break out of my mental stalemate. I am physically accomplishing many tasks, but mentally, I am doing as little as possible.

The Petunias with the funny name and the pretty appearance are also lessons for my life. Many things sound silly at first, but if given a chance, I find so much beauty and pleasure out of the action or project that I am glad I gave it a chance.

Today, then, my Lord, I must thank you for the lessons I have just learned from your humble but beautiful flowers; thank you!

No comments: