Saturday, July 19, 2008

Answered Prayers - Accepting the Help

Many times, I’ve prayed for what I need, as well as for what I want. Many times, those prayers are answered. Of course, they are not always answered in the way I expect. Sometimes, it is a wonderful answer and I am warmed by the love of the Father. Other times, the answer is what I need, but I am embarrassed to have to
accept the help in the way it is offered.

It took me a long time to see where my attitude needed adjusting. It was all right for me to help others. I do it time and time again. When the person tries to thank me, I tell them there’s no need for thanks - I enjoyed doing it for them. Or, I ask them to just do something nice for someone else in return.

But when the shoe is on the other foot, I hate to have to accept help. Maybe it’s the part about admitting to myself that I need that help. I don’t mind that God knows - he knows everything about me anyway. But I don’t always want friends, loved ones, neighbors, strangers, to know I’m in need in some way. When the offer comes, I sometimes try to avoid accepting it. Other times, I know I must not look as happy or enthusiastic about this answered prayer as I should be.

Pride. That’s what it’s all about. And I need to get rid of that when I need help.

Dear God, I humbly ask that you bless me with the ability to be properly grateful for the help you send me, no matter what the source.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

It's kind of like the old joke:
A man is stranded on the roof of his house with the flood waters rising fast. A boat comes by to rescue him.
"No the Lord will rescue me." He prays for help. Another boat comes. Again he says, "No the Lord will rescue me." Then a helicopter comes. He refuses once again "No the Lord will rescue me."
The man drowns. When he gets to Heaven he asks "Lord I prayed so hard , why didn't you rescue me?"
The Lord replies, "I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What more did you want?"

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Shelly, this is so true, and a good story for me to always keep in mind. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Hugs and prayers
Evie