Saturday, July 19, 2008

Discarding Old Craft Supplies

My craft interests change with the years, with my skills, with my life. There was a time when I knitted, and when I was very young, I embroidered, among other types of needlework. Even with the crochet I love these days, my tastes change from year to year. I often find myself clearing out old supplies, including patterns, pattern books, yarns, tools, and more.

Years ago, the way to discard these things was a yard sale. Even today, that works if I could find the time and enough other stuff to put out, to make the time and effort worth it.

Today, however, we have places like Freecycle and craigslist. They take no commission like eBay does. I also find free stuff that I want and need at these sites.

I can list anything I want to get rid of. I can offer it “free” or charge for it. And I do nothing until someone emails me and tells me they’d like to pick it up. It’s painless. It’s for the lazy at heart or for the time-challenged. It’s great.

Be careful when you decide who to give or sell it to. A dealer usually replies in a generic way: “I saw your offer and I’m interested. Please contact me.” An individual who really needs or wants what you’ve got will be specific: “I’d really love to have that yarn,” or “I’ve been looking everywhere for those patterns.”

Yard sales are still fun but when I am strapped for time and effort, I rely on both Freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org) and Craigs List (http://www.craigslist.org).

Dear Father, thank you for the wonders of modern technology; help me share my goods with others who need them.

No comments: