Monday, April 19, 2021

Outpatient surgery tomorrow - I think I'm ready...

Got everything on my to-do list done so I won't need to be concerned about stretching, bending or lifting while stitches are in.

Because of the pandemic, this hospital gives you a pandemic shower kit. Two bottles of what I call "decontaminant" liquid soap, 2 bath mitts, and an hourglass. You take one shower the night before and one the morning of the surgery. However, you have "rules." 

You do your hair first, rinse, then put on a mitt, and turn off the water. You pour half a bottle onto the mitt. This is interesting because it is an opaque white bottle and it is tricky guessing half a bottle - then you suds yourself from neck down. You must NOT get this stuff above your neck or into any mucous membranes, or your private area or butt area. So you are slippy all over. Then you pour the other half of the bottle onto the mitt and do it again. Then you do the hourglass which is 2 minutes. You just stand there, slippy and slidy, and wait. Then you rinse. Repeat the next morning. Hilarious, is what I calls it, hilarious. Anyhow, I'm finished with the nighttime one.

So, tomorrow, my friend picks me up at 7:30am, we must be there before/by 8:30am but it's quite a drive in commuter-time traffic and we don't want to be late. He drops me off and then waits for the call around 2-ish that I am out of recovery and ready to run home.

They will be taking x-rays and inserting needles in the lumps to be removed as well as into the sentinel lymph node, so even though the surgery is around 12:30pm, they need time to do the imaging, do local anesthetics and insert the needle markers, and other things. It should be interesting.

I'm not at all worried about tomorrow's double lumpectomy. Just a little inconvenienced by no water after midnight. I like my water. 

Mostly, I'll try to distract myself over the next 10 days until I see the surgeon on the 30th for the results to see if it spread into the lymph system.

Folks, at this point, I am not going to post any more about it. I am not going to stress over something I have no control over, so, as I said, I'll keep myself happily busy over the next 10 days... at that point, when I know something, I'll update you...

Rolling along...

No comments: