Sunday, October 6, 2019

The Energy Level of Some of My Amazing Friends


I was thinking today, after doing a few things in here, how often folks think I do a lot more than I do, and how often they caution me to not do too much. Thing is, I am very very careful to not go over my limit during each of my energy spurts. That's what they are - spurts. I'm not consistent. But I really don't care.

See, in my way of thinking, even more than the medical issues I might have, and those my other senior friends might have, even more than those, is the danger we impose upon ourselves with undue stress.

Stress is unavoidable. I remember once hearing that long-ago TV preacher, Rev. Schuller, point out that some stress is good - a violin or guitar string must be taut, or "stressed," to make lovely music. But in life, stress can cause a lot of grief. So knowing stress will appear no matter what I do, I just try to manage "undue" stress.

Anyhow, today, after I finished making a few days' of coffee, packing serving size (1/4 cup) cottage cheese snacks, making milk, and mixing a batch of salmon/avocado salad for several days, I relaxed in other ways.

And I was thinking about two friends, in particular.

One is 73 and now undergoing dialysis 3 days a week, about 60 miles from me, and she and her hubby must travel about 25 miles each way for those treatments. In addition, they "garden" but I call it "farming" because of the amount they produce on their lot. They have really managed to get a lot of mileage from that spot they've got, day after day taking care of that plot. And somehow, they are dealing with this, and still have their sense of humor, and still make 300 hats on a knitting loom each year for our charity crafting group. Amazing.

The other one I've never met in person. She's a cyber friend. And she and her guy live in Canada, in an area where they get really wicked winters. There's rarely a day goes by without my seeing her post a photo of the jars she's canned that day. It ranges from about 6 to 16 or more, at times. She puts up everything possible. When they get snowed in, they do not need to fret running out to a store. But even so, I don't know where they get the consistent energy needed for that, day after day.

Yep, I do things in spurts. I'm grateful I can do that. But I truly respect and admire those who do far more than I can, and more than I think I even want to at this point.
Rolling along...

No comments: