Saturday, September 23, 2017

Bread and Eggs and Stuff, Oh My!

Somehow, this past 2 weeks, I’ve ended up with 4 dozen eggs and 4 loaves of bread. I almost freaked out Thursday when it hit home.

How did it happen? Easily.

Bread - I rarely buy bread these days. Then a food pantry blessed me with 2 nice loaves, one whole wheat, one buttermilk. Then I noticed that I would be getting some from a special deal from Smiths - I’ll be picking those up tomorrow morning. Essentially, they are free.

Eggs - I had a few left early last week, and I ended up picking up 18 more for only 99-cents. That gave me almost 2 dozen. Then a food pantry blessed me with 2 more dozen.

Yikes...

Okay, I’m nothing if not practical. Here’s what I’ll do (getting creative here).

I’ll boil a dozen and pack them into a jar in the fridge and make pickled eggs, red beets and onions. Those last a long time in the fridge - loved them ever since I was a kid.

I’ll use up a lot of the bread and eggs tomorrow by whipping up two loaves into French Toast. I’ll freeze them in 4-piece packets. I love taking out just one (sometimes 2) at a time and using them lots of ways. If I have hot dogs in the freezer, I’ll yank one out and wrap a piece of French Toast around it, nuke it for a moment or two, and have at it. I also love spreading either peanut butter or cream cheese on a slice.

Now, in my plans, that still leaves 2 whole loaves of bread and lots of eggs. A friend reminded me yesterday morning that one of our friends who moved half a country away used to make heavenly bread pudding. One text later, that friend’s recipe was in the mail. Can’t wait until it gets here.

So, finally, I think I have it all under control. And I have some reasonably healthy choices available but spaced out in healthy portions. (Unless the bread pudding turns out so good that it never makes it anywhere except my tummy when it’s done)...

No comments: