Tuesday, July 4, 2017

I Will Never Do a Spaghetti Squash Any Other Way!


Ok, I took some photos. I will never do these any other way. Totally pain free, labor free, and extremely little clean-up and prep. 

My crock pot is a 4-1/2 qt. and I did 7 medium potatoes and one good sized spaghetti squash. I think in this one I could easily do 2 to 4 of the sp/squash, depending on their size. This would be great for buying a few when on sale or a surprise "bumper crop"!

All I did was rinse it off and plop it in. The web said to do a "tight seal," which meant to tear a square of foil and put that over the crock pot (I just laid it there) and plop the lid on top. No water added to the pot. I pricked the sp/squash only twice, with a fork.

I did this first one from 9am to 1:30pm, on low. Then I took it out and let it cool to be able to handle it. It already felt soft. 

I cut it in half SO easily. I scooped out the seeds SO easily. I divided the innards into containers. And I drizzled some sauce into each container (for me, it's recycled cookie-go-paks) so when I take them out of the freezer (only 2 will make it there this time - I'm eating one in a moment, and the other tomorrow).

Out of the crockpot and cut in half. See how close to the skin you can scrape it?

The spaghetti strands inside a freezer container. Next time I'll do it just a tad shorter time - this was not bad but a little mushy but delicious and SO easy.


Because it's just me, I used 4 of these for one squash. Perfect serving size for one...

Now, this was a little mushy, so next time I think I will still put it on low but only for 4 hours, or test it with a cake tester at 3-1/2 hours.

I am a happy, happy camper - I love making things easy!

2 comments:

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Sounds good. Never thought to put the squash in the crock. I have tried the oven, microwave....they are soooo hard to cut in half. Crock pot is next.

Evelyn Mayfield said...

Good luck, my friend. I really love this method. I wasn't really kidding about needing a chain saw to cut one of those raw (sigh). When I still had my 6-1/2 qt one, I'll bet I could have done 6 at a time and froze quite a bit. When I freeze, I do dribble some sauce on top before I freeze. I'll be taking one out this weekend, so I'll let everyone know how they handle the freezing and defrosting, taste and texture-wise.