Friday, November 11, 2016

The Gene Pool - My Inheritance

It is easy to understand one of the biggest reasons adult adoptees today actively seek out their biological parental information. Aside from emotional tugs and needs, the gene pool is important to how they live their lives.

We can follow all the modern, up to date suggestions for healthy eating, healthy activities, and more. But we cannot avoid what's in our gene pool. We can, however, be guided by what we know.

These days, folks can easily pay for a DNA test and get a lot of this information the easy way.

For many of us, however, we do not have the funds for a DNA test. We rely on what we remember about our families from all the years of hearing about them.

In my family, I seem to have inherited mostly the maternal side. I remember hearing all those years about the diabetics on my mom's side: my great-great-maternal aunt, my maternal grandmother, and even my sis. They all had full blown diabetes. For that reason, I always worried growing up. I knew I was at risk. I always loved liquids and always seemed to be thirsty. When I was a child, in the 40s, we didn't keep a glass of water by the bedside. If I was thirsty during the night, I'd go into the bathroom, turn on the spigot, let some water run into my cupped hands, and take a few sips from that.

Over the years, I did watch myself in regard to diabetic possibilities. I am borderline. So far, I do not require any medication. But I'm 77 and it could still be required somewhere down the line.
So, mom's side tended toward diabetes.

It's very probably that side also tended toward schizophrenia and/or bipolar issues. My sis suffered in that way, but many of us suspected one maternal aunt did, also. I think another aunt might have, also.

Dad's side tended toward heart issues and gall bladder issues.

Both sides had very active alcoholics.

I was prepped from little up to watch for these things.

What I never expected was cancer. When I battled Stage 3 colon cancer in '99, it not only required me to have a year-long colostomy, but because it had spread to the lymph system, it required long-term chemo (weekly, for six months - 24 sessions).

Back to my reason for writing this.

What I've learned is that no matter what our gene pool, no matter what we do to help ourselves be healthy, we cannot foresee every possibility.

Only the Father can do that.

So, I do what I can. I try to be healthy and wise in choices that affect my health. But in the end, I must rely on his help and compassion and mercy.

Heavenly Father, thank you for always being there when I faced health issues. If there are other issues ahead of me, please be patient and compassionate and merciful. Please help me to deal with whatever comes my way in the best ways possible. And I pray that you do this for those I know and love, as well.

No comments: