Friday, October 28, 2011

Manna from Heaven - Once more, with feeling

Back near the end of 2008, I posted about Manna from Heaven. I wrote about how suddenly we were on the receiving end of surprise food items. Sometimes, back then, it came exactly when we really desperately needed it. Other times, it was more than we needed or could use before it spoiled and we shared with others.

Today, I am really surprised at what the Lord has sent our way. We aren't out of food, I must explain. However, funds being low, we have been buying the same things, over and over. We've been eating the same things, over and over. Truthfully, even nutritious food can become boring. We've been craving a slight change, a treat, something different. However, I have not asked the Lord for this because it wasn't a "need." It was more of a "want." I try to keep those two separated when I pray for his help.

Yet, he knew. Yes, he surely did know. Okay, here's what we unexpectedly received today. None of it was desperately needed, but it sure will make for an interesting weekend. My nephew is home both Saturday and Sunday, which gives us the opportunity to use it while it is fresh.

A family who places ads in our mobile home community newsletter lives half way across the valley, and they have a really nice garden. She called this morning when I was rushing to leave for our charity crafting session. Thank heaven I was civil and not abrupt when I answered. She told me her DH was dropping off some garden bounty on his way to his job. We ended up with fresh eggplant (yum!), fresh little bell peppers, Japanese eggplant, and a really big batch of fresh basil! I will make eggplant parmesan tomorrow as a side dish, with some of this, and I will sauté the Japanese eggplant and peppers with some mushrooms and some basil, the next day as another side dish.

This evening, I went to see my neighbor who returned from his trip to Jamaica night before last. He gave me some Jamaican breadfruit and showed me how he sautés and browns it, and gave me a taste to be sure we'd like it. I loved it. He gave me some fresh nutmegs, and showed me how to open one, retrieve the nut inside, and explained how to use it. He grates some fresh into things like eggnog or cereal. He gave me a round Jamaican wheat bread loaf. And he gave me something called Blue Drawers...wrapped in moist banana leaves. He said it was a breakfast food and needed to be boiled. When I came home, I immediately checked the internet on that one (LOL). Turns out it is a boiled pudding using cornmeal (or bananas) and coconut milk, and very much loved and very popular.

So, without our asking, the Lord has provided us with a wide variety of interesting foods and treats to ease the sameness of our current menus. How loving and great is that?

Father, you have been especially loving and generous to us today. Thank you so much for seeing to not only our everyday needs, but also for understanding what these little things do for the human spirit. And, please, bless our benefactors abundantly.

No comments: