Friday, October 21, 2011

Handmade Christmas Gift Ideas - Snow Globes

I defy anyone who makes things with their hands to tell me they've never wanted to try making their own snow globes. Well, maybe there are a few of you, but I think most of you are like me - you know you want to try it.

Tonight's tute, part of our ongoing series (9/21-12/24) of handmade Christmas gift ideas, comes from ChicaAndJo, one of my fave spots.

Their tutorial is here. The dollar store item they suggest to use for the snow globe is pure genius level in creativity. You could also recycle baby food jars and other small containers. The materials are not hard to find.

This is a great gift for everyone on your list this year. You can easily adapt it for each person. Mini-figurines or other poly resin miniatures are not hard to find. They are in craft stores and online. You can probably even find them in dollar stores and toy departments.

Make sports-oriented snow globes or hobby-themed gems. Make them with themes related to pets, fave toys and superheroes, flowers, Christmas or other year-end holidays, and more. Hmmm - maybe I might try filling one with beads and other faceted thingies for a kaleidoscope effect.

There are lots of tutes online for these, but I like this one for its simplicity and common sense angle.

For other projects in my series, just look along the right sidebar for the label "Christmas Gift Projects." I hope to post only tips that do not require knitting, crocheting, machine sewing, tatting, embroidery, or any other skilled technique.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway (deadline Oct 31) for $25 in handcrafted merchandise from my Etsy store.

No comments: