Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Bumblebee

Joel Osteen's message this morning really hit home. I'm glad I waited for the end. It was in the final five minutes of his discussing how we should not let labels, or the opinions of others, stick to us. He said that we should, instead, be whatever God intended us to be.

Then he used the bumblebee as an example. Scientists agree that the bumblebee, aerodynamically, cannot fly. The bumblebee does not know this. God "told" it to fly, so it does.

I am going to use the bumblebee as my guide from now on. I am a bumblebee.

This doesn't mean that a person will be rich or worldly-successful, if they are what God made them to be.

My sister was successful in her own tiny little world. In her own little world, everyone who met her loved her. Even her care giving staff at the long-term care centers, where she spent the last few years of her life, loved her. Oh, she had her bad days. In addition to her Parkinson's and Diabetes, she was bipolar. There were times her episodes caused her to cuss out those who she really loved and trusted. Most of them knew that and overlooked it. Several had issues themselves, or with family or loved ones, with alcohol addiction. My sis, like I, a recovering alcoholic, understood.

She helped so many, quietly, and she also helped quite a few find a deeper faith in God. In addition, and here's where I credit her success, she prayed in her little third-of-the-room, for a growing list of people. She'd ask me to type the list, re-do the list every so often to add or delete names, and laminate it, so she could concentrate on each one.

She prayed daily. I saw her prayers answered many times. If she had been at home, she would not have had the time, or the exposure to those who needed her love and prayers, and could not have done this. My sister was a bumblebee - she should not have been able to touch people in those ways, considering her bipolar episodes. She didn't know that. She just did what she had to do - she did what God needed her to do. She was a bumblebee.

Father, thank you so much for this message today; bless abundantly the minister who shared it, and bless me with all I need to be your bumblebee, whether in a large way, or in a small way.

No comments: