Sunday, February 20, 2011

Admitting Limits

As we travel through life, sometimes it's hard to admit our limits. We are told we can do all things through Christ, who strengthens us. However, I believe that those words mean we can do all things according to God's plan for us, and according to the physical and mental abilities and limits he has set for us.

I'm 70 now, and was talking to the woman at the long-term care center that our charity crafters has adopted. She is close to my own age. After my foot surgery, I was rid of one trouble, but still had other troubles with my feet and legs. She asked how I was doing and I mentioned this concern, and that I guess I have to admit that some things are not going to change because I am older now and have some limits. She sighed and said, "I think we are all facing that." I do not think it's limited to the elderly alone.

When I was young, and spent many years as a full-charge bookkeeper, payroll supervisor, and junior accountant (before I finally found the courage to pursue the writing and editing I truly loved), I noticed that all bookkeepers were not equally skilled in all areas. I was great at bank reconciliations (even with foreign accounts and at multiple corporate accounts), at collecting receivables, at payroll, and at the required taxes (payroll, corporate, personal, partnership, etc.).
But I was not as good at payables and other aspects, including handling money for Petty Cash funds. Many of the other bookkeepers I knew had similar issues. I knew some who hated bank reconciliation and payroll.

Sometimes I think the current trend to teach "all" employees "all" the tasks in their line of work, or multi-tasking, is hazardous to the employer's wealth. In a supermarket, for example, I noticed that some checkers were forced to do inventory or stocking during slow times, and vice versa. I noticed how terrible some of the stockers were at checking if they had to fill in. I truly believe we are best at what we are made for, and for what the Lord has guided us to learn in our life's journey.

So, I've decided not to fret over my body's changes and limits. In exchange, the Lord has opened other doors for me. Years ago, I would never have tackled the charity crafting our small group handles, or the middle of the night trips with our one vehicle for my nephew's job, or even this blog. I guess the Lord knows what is best for me, if I just heed his guidance.

Father, thank you for all the skills you have enabled me to learn, and all the things you have trusted me to do; help me to avoid feeling sorry that my life is changing in some ways for the lesser, and help me to be thankful that it is changing in other ways for the better.

No comments: