Sunday, December 5, 2010

Relocation Frustrations

I have moved more times in my life than I care to remember. Right now, I have two friends, both cyber-friends, who are going through relocation frustrations themselves.

At this time of the year, Christians, especially, should feel very close to the Lord if they are going through these terrible struggles, moving from one household to another.

Why? Because the Holy Family faced just such a move, during the season we are now celebrating. I cannot imagine the turmoil they suffered, having taking that difficult trip to fulfill their census requirements. Not only that, Mary gave birth in a strange place, in a lowly stable, far from her loved ones. On top of that, they receive word from an angel that their little baby was doomed to death unless they fled to Egypt.

Now, it is true that the Lord provided them some capital - gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Not one of my moves was funded so generously. However, I knew during each one that I could rely on the Lord for all the help I personally needed.

At that point, I imagine this little Jewish family must have faced far more troubles than I have ever faced in any of my moves. They ended up in a foreign country, no friends or loved ones to help, having to learn a new language, and start up a business for Joseph. Of course, the Bible is a little fuzzy about those years. Maybe Joseph had a job instead of a business. Still, the little family faced extreme adjustments. In the back of their minds, there must have always been the worry, the threat that maybe they could have been followed by those intending to kill their son.

There are a lot of things this blessed little family faced that the Lord has never asked me to face. For this I am very grateful.

I also pray with all my heart that the folks I know who are relocating this season will find it easy to rely on the Lord in every aspect of their move. And I wish them much joy in their new households.

Thank you, Father, for watching out for me during my past moves, and for providing such a wonderfully brave example for us, in the Holy Family, for these times in our own lives.

No comments: