Wednesday, September 1, 2010

In God's Image - Does God Laugh?

Lately, I've been thinking about how we truly are made in God's image. Tonight, I was certain that he has a sense of humor because we are told we are made in his image, and this gift is of the heart and spirit, and must come directly from him. So, I did a web search, just out of curiosity, to see what others have said about this.

Right off, I found a book listed, one that I know I must get. Read the blurb and reviews about "Does God Laugh?" by L. James Harvey on Amazon and at this direct link to the book...
http://sentencesermons.com/god_laugh.html

At another site, I saw a quote from the Bible which surprised me. A devotional, which seemed to have a bad link because I could not open it, mentioned the book of Job, of all places. I would never think of the book of Job when I think of God and a laugh, but check this out:
Job 8:21 "He will yet fill your mouth with laughter."

Another blogger pondered this question of Gods' sense of humor, and the post was interesting, but I loved the comment at the bottom of the post, in italics.
http://www.5minutesformom.com/faithlifts/2007/07/31/does-god-laugh/

Still another post about God and laughter is this one
http://www.gotquestions.org/God-humor.html
In it, I love the example of the Israelites using the Ark of the Covenant like a good luck charm.

In my own life, I have a grown nephew who has said, from the time he was able to put two and two together, that God does have a sense of humor. He explains it by the Platypus. He says that when God created all the creatures of the earth, the sea, and the sky, he had some parts left over and thus, the Platypus.

I love all these examples and thoughts and devoted musings about God and his sense of humor.

Most of all, I love that he loves us enough to pass it on to us.

So go ahead, laugh! Laugh, and God laughs with you, and me, and all of us. We come by it naturally.

Thank you, Dear, Dear, Father, for this wondrous, blessed, life-lifting gift!

No comments: