Friday, November 6, 2009

Needs vs. Wants

Today was one of those days we hate. I got off to a late start on my to-do list because of a phone call to straighten out an order I placed via online catalog. I wanted to cancel an item, right away. It took 45 minutes for them to tell me that it could not be cancelled because it was in "shipping" and on the way out the door.

By then, I was edgy, worried about my long list for the day. Tomorrow, I'm both managing/overseeing, and selling at, our mobile home park community Craft Fair. I knew I had to do all my errands and come back in time to do all my pricing and stack the items neatly in totes so I could quickly unpack tomorrow morning.

I really worried about my list. I thought, for sure, that every item on that list was a "need" and that it had to be crossed off. By the time I hit my first stop, the Post Office, I ended up helping an elderly woman (I know, I know, I, too, am an elderly woman) because she didn't know how to use the automated kiosk. But, you know, tonight I feel good that I was there to help her. I guess God knew if I had gone there earlier, this woman and I wouldn't have crossed paths.

Another item on the list was a "hand." Yep, a "hand." I wanted a display-hand so I could put some fingerless gloves on it to better display them. The shop did not have the size I wanted. But, by the time I got home, I decided to try to stuff "batting" inside a disposable rubber glove, and it works well. The good part is that it didn't cost me a cent.

By the time I got to this post, every item was either crossed off, or the need for it was eliminated.

Father, thank you for the patience you sent that enabled me to get through this day and the wisdom that allowed me to see the difference between "my" list and "your" list.

No comments: