Tuesday, July 21, 2009

When Crafting, Size Does Matter

I had fun today making some Fridgies for a Yahoo swap. I am truly hoping my partner does not see this for at least the week it will take it to get to her via USPS. I took the same pattern and changed the materials and crochet hook to get two totally different flowers.

The pattern originally said, simple, Fridgie. It looked very much like a daisy, and called for knitting worsted.

For one fridgie, I did it in knitting worsted, with cocoa brown as the center, and added a second round more than the pattern called for, making a much bigger center, and offering a lot more petals. I did the petals in a yellow worsted that has a bit of a sheen. Finished, it measures 4 inches at widest point and is the nicest “sunflower” I’ve ever seen.



The second fridgie, I switched to #10 crochet thread and a #7 hook, and followed the pattern exactly except for the change in materials. It came out looking like a very nice, wee little daisy, about 2 inches across at widest point.



Of both items, I am really in love with that Sunflower and will make many more of them. I plan to put them in my Etsy shop ASAP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evie,

I know I've already thanked you in an email, but I have to thank you again here. I too love this sunflower and daisy. It's amazing how one pattern can have such different looks. Thanks again for helping me to start my fridgie collection!!

Hugs
Sheila