Monday, August 4, 2008

Resisting His Will

I have a bad habit of saying “No” to some options people give me before I really think them through. Most times, if I can stop myself long enough to say “I’ll think about it” before I say “No,” I find I made a wise decision. Some suggestions seem wrong from the start, but end up right for me. God knows what I need. I know what I want. We differ at times.

Today, for example. I had agreed to be on a committee this next month or so. When the call came tonight to remind me, I cringed. I was sorry I had agreed. I don’t have the time, I thought. It will be a royal pain, I thought. I don’t feel like traveling to those meetings and leaving Jane alone, I thought.

Then my friend suggested we have the meetings in my community clubhouse so I’d be close to home. Before I could think, I heard myself saying, “No, I don’t think so.”
Thank heaven I changed that in the next breath to “Let me think about it.” While we talked, I realized it was an excellent suggestion. I’d be less than five minutes away if Jane needed me. I could walk over and back. I was on my own grounds. How stupid I was to resist God’s solution when I hadn’t even given it a chance to sink in.

This has happened many times. I am getting much better at letting him handle my problems. But I have a long way to go.

Please, Dear Lord, give me the grace to think before I react to your plans for me, and thank you for helping me with solutions to my problems.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

As you said, we are on the same page. Amazing how God can put two people together at different stages of life and have them become spiritual partners of a sort.
Bless you and yours,
Shelly