Monday, March 2, 2015

Doing Whatever We Can, When and Where We Can



I was thinking today about some current sayings, like “bloom where you’re planted,” and “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” They aren’t the same but they are similar. In both cases, we are encouraged to do what we can, when and where we can.

Too often, we try to match what others are doing to help in this world. Sometimes that takes us beyond our own scope and limits.

I recently declined an obligation I almost undertook. I realized that it was not right for me at this time. Taking on that particular responsibility would have stressed me out. That, in turn, would have affected the charity crafting group I started almost six years ago. We are small but we have made and given away almost 1,000 items to local needy. The stress might also have affected the quality of the volunteer effort I put into our senior mobile home park’s monthly newsletter. I have been doing that for a dozen years now. In both those cases, nobody else is willing or able to step in and take over. But the obligation I did not take on can easily be handled by several other people. That, in the end, was how I weighed the pro’s and con’s and made my decision. 

In the end, we each have skills and abilities and strengths to offer, even though sometimes we do not realize we are so blessed.

This made me remember my sister’s case. 

My little sis (11 mos younger than me) had to go into long-term care in '05 at age 65. For 4 years her "world" was a bed and a bedside rolling table in a room with 2 others. She always felt that she could no longer help anyone, yet this kid prayed, often. One of her many medical issues was Parkinsons. When her handwriting was almost undreadable, she'd send me (I was in NV and she was in CA) her "list" of people she prayed for, and I'd type it and print it on my printer, onto a 3x5 card, and send it back. Yet, her prayers seemed to have more weight with Him than those of others, including myself. When Betty prayed for something, it was often heard. She didn't realize how she was doing what only she could do - she had to time and focus on prayer when most of us are rushing through our days and nights and barely giving prayer a thought. She passed on in '09 but I'll never forget that about her.

So, I will not try to compete with others for the chance to help in the exact same way they help. I will consider what I can do. Then I will try to do that to the best, the very best, of my own ability.

Father, thank you so much for the skills and abilities you have carefully and lovingly led me to acquire and learn. I am grateful that you trust me to use them for your work. Bless me with any and all grace I need to fulfill your expectations.

No comments: