Thursday, October 30, 2014

Why I Know Jesus Understands



There was a time when I hated to bother Jesus with my earthly worries and troubles. I knew he was the son of the Most High, seated at his right hand. How could he care about my somewhat minor, in the grand scheme of things, issues?

Then I remembered how he changed the water into wine for family friends at a little wedding feast so that the groom would not be embarrassed. Embarrassment - now that is certainly minor, right?

And then I remembered how he changed the few loaves and fishes into enough to feed the huge crowd who had gathered to hear his words of wisdom and love. A snack for the audience - now some would consider that to be minor, too, right?

And even better, the time he and Peter were approached to pay temple taxes and had no cash. He told Peter to catch a fish and the fish had a coin in its mouth, enough to pay those taxes. Not a fortune, but what they needed - some would consider that minor, too, right?

There is another angle to this. I remembered, too, that Jesus walked this earth for 33 years. He was a kid, he was a teen, he became a man. He ate, slept, washed, and worked with his father. He most likely had some cranky neighbors and some cranky customers. He saw all of life’s emotions and understands them - those pesky seven sins: anger, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. I am sure he heard crude language, gossip and more. He felt hunger, exhaustion, and overwhelming burden.

He even asked his father to relieve him of his burden when he prayed before his capture.

Even more - he had no modern conveniences. Can we even imagine living without indoor plumbing, our gadgets, our fridge, our cars?

So now I do not hold back. Even the simplest of issues are none too simple to take to him. He is my Savior, in, oh, so many ways.

Sweet Loving Lord Jesus, thank you for what you did for us, for me. You gave the ultimate sacrifice. But you also lived a life here, just like I am doing. You know what people are like; you know what life here is like. Thank you so much for understanding my every want, need, fear, guilty pleasure, and emotional issue, and for helping me through them in wondrous ways.  

No comments: