Monday, August 18, 2014

Passed My Driver’s License Visual Today



What a relief. I passed my driver’s license visual today. I have an appointment in mid-October with the ophthalmologist to schedule cataract surgery. They are slow-growing but I can tell that this must be the year to do it. I’ve procrastinated long enough, thinking my co-pay would be impossible to raise. Then I found out that I will have NO co-pay, plus I will get one free pair of glasses, if needed. I haven’t had my regular bifocals re-done in over six years, so I really need to do this.

Anyhow, you have to renew by your birthday of the expiration year of current license, and that is this year on Sept. 2 - I will be 75 and at my age, they only renew us for 4 years at a time. This is a relief.

I’m a cautious driver in that I will not be stupid in my elder years. I have friends who should not be driving who are younger than I am. And I have some friends older than I am who drive better than most younger folks. I’ve promised myself that if I see problems in my driving, I will admit them to myself.

Even though I have had no problem so far, I do avoid freeway driving now. I don’t want to test my reaction time at the wrong moment. I’m just as happy and comfy with surface streets.

The lady at the desk today had to “dumb down” the test screens in the little desktop vision tester, twice, but apparently I still see well enough to qualify with the stipulation that I must be wearing corrective lenses behind the wheel. Heck, there’s no way I’d get behind the wheel without them. I have trouble with far-objects, not close-up.
 
What a relief.   Can’t wait to see the new photo.  On the other hand, maybe I shouldn’t be so anxious to see that - sometimes they are awful. The last one was so good, I wanted to hunt down the photographer and hire that one!  

No comments: