Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sin City Has a Heart



I’ve been in the Las Vegas area since 1994 - 20 years. I noticed right away that there were a lot more churches here than I ever expected. But that’s not why I feel Sin City has heart.

Over and over again, I’ve seen the locals rally to the aid of those in need. This is a town that can be brutal to many. Some come here with money, gamble it away, and get stuck in a world of poverty. Others came here during the boom years and fell onto hard times when the recession hit, as they did elsewhere.

But here, over and over, on the TV news, you see fundraisers to help those in need.

Sometimes a death occurred and the family has no money for final arrangements. Sometimes, a fire or flood or other disaster causes a family to be without their home or apartment, whether permanent or temporary. Sometimes an accident takes a household member and suddenly the folks who are left need help.

No matter what the reason, no matter how many times you see these fundraisers all over the Las Vegas valley, there is always an outpouring of help. Much of this help is from others who are often in dire straits themselves, but they feel for the needs of someone else.

I’m really proud of this community, the locals here in Las Vegas. Yes, I really am.  

No comments: