Friday, October 7, 2011

Worries About a Pet

Tonight I am worried about a neighbor's pet. Around this time last year, I posted a different worry about this pet in a post titled "He Loves Them All."

I don't know if my current worry will have such an immediate answer to my prayers. Right now, I have little hope.

My neighbor, 82, has gone on a little vacation to see some family members and will be away for a total of 24 days. I am in charge of visiting his mobile home, directly across from mine, twice a day, to feed his little furry buddy, Sam (Samson). Sam is tightly bonded to my neighbor. He wakes his buddy every morning for work (yes, my neighbor, bless him, still works). Sam misses his human very much already and it has only been since Monday night - that's only four days. He is barely eating. He was already thin.

I spend a total of perhaps a half hour in the morning, and again at night. In the morning, I come in, talk to Sam, feed him, clean his box, turn on the TV for the day, and generally try to make him feel that I care. I do care. In the evening, it is a repeat, with me turning off the TV and turning on a light for the night in one room.

As I mentioned earlier, he is barely eating. I even opened two cans of his fave foods at once this morning, hoping he would tell me which one he preferred. I thought perhaps it was just that he didn't like some brands or flavors.

Last year when I prayed so hard about little Sam it was because he had gotten out of his home and my neighbor couldn't catch him. He was out all night. We were concerned for several reasons which I explained in my post. My prayers were strong and worried. All worked out very early the next morning. I do not think it will be so quick this time.

For one thing, Sam seems to remember that two years ago his buddy left him alone for 14 days. He does not know it will be even longer this time. Tonight, I even sat in his buddy's chair, and coaxed him onto my lap. He did get up and curled but his motor didn't turn on.

Tonight, my prayers will be heavily concerned with Sam. Yes, he is only a cat, but he is, after all, one of God's creatures. The Father tells us he made them all and he loves them all, even the lilies of the field. I am holding on to that, and onto his promises.

Dear, sweet Father in heaven, small as this matter might seem in view of the world's problems today, this little creature of yours needs your help. I can cover his worldly needs, but he needs your blessings and comfort in his little heart to encourage him to eat enough to keep him nourished and healthy. I am leaving this in your loving hands for I can only do so much. I trust in you.

1 comment:

Bawissa AKA Melissa said...

I'll be praying for Sam too. My kitty doesn't like to eat when I'm not there. Twice when I've had to go away for a long time, I've come home to find her sick from not eating and drinking. :( If nothing else, try to make sure Sam gets enough to drink, even if that means you have to give him chicken broth. Good luck and God bless you both.