Monday, September 12, 2011

WWJD - Why I Love This Acronym

I have always loved the way the simple letters, WWJD, can help me focus on the real priority of a situation. I suppose I first noticed that acronym, which stands for "What would Jesus do?" back in the early 1990s.

The idea behind it is to make us concentrate not on our own feelings and emotions about an issue, but rather on how Jesus would handle it if he were here. In a sense, he is here, always, with us. Whenever I can remember those letters, and say them in my head, I immediately find the strength and peace of mind to do what is right at that moment. The trick is to remember them at all when life gets busy or frantic or even disastrous.

Back in the 1990s, I worked in an office with a group of folks who had more initials after their names than I have in my nickname, Evie. However, I had almost all of them beat with experience. My confidence level needed work back then. Whenever I ran into a situation that needed me to react in a way that would not cause me to lose my job, thinking about those letters, WWJD, helped a lot. I asked a dear friend to make something for me that I could hang in my cubicle, something very small so that nobody would know it was there except for me.

Now I find I need those letters and that thought more than ever. In fact, I am going to make something to put in my Etsy shop, so that others can do what I did back then. In addition, I'll share the pattern, free, in the Crafts/Free Pattern part of this blog.

I am very happy that God sent his son here, to dwell in human form, for over three decades. Because of this, we all know that Jesus understands everything we are going through. He understands pain, jealousy, sickness. He understands danger and death. And, he understand what it means to work, to play, to eat, to walk, and to laugh with friends. What more suitable person could I ever find to go to when I need to know the best way to react to a situation?

Dear Jesus, thank you for living here, like us, for those years and giving us so many good examples of how to handle life's issues. Remind me, please, to come to you often, when I need help in knowing how to act when life gets tricky.

No comments: