Sunday, April 24, 2011

Today, I Owe You Big Time, Lord

Throughout my life I have received many favors and assistance from God. This past 24 hours, however, was a little traumatic and I am so very grateful for his help.

Yesterday evening, my nephew was on his shift as a cab driver. Around 8:30 pm, he was involved in a major vehicle accident, and at the time, he had two passengers. Thankfully (the first thing I owe God for, big time), none of his passengers, or Frank, or the people (including two kids) in the other car were injured badly. I expect everyone will have soreness and bruising over the next few weeks.

Anyhow, his cab was totaled. His air bags deployed. He received three citations. Never mind that his passengers agreed in front of the officers that he could not have done anything differently. The fact is that if you hit another car in front of you, you are cited with failure to stop, right off. The other car had started to go through a stale yellow light, and then suddenly stopped.

Our next worry was whether he could finish out his shift, which was from 2:30 pm to 2:30 am. In the end, after his cab was towed back to the yard, there were no extra cabs available, which meant a short night, short pay (eventually) for that night, and short tips. Still, he was in one piece and I was grateful.

Our final and biggest worry was whether, when he went in today, they would hand him a termination notice. You have no idea how hard I've been praying since 8:30 last evening. So far, so good - God has been very, very generous and compassionate. My nephew is working as we speak. Still, this is Sunday and we cannot assume he is out of the woods. We'll be worrying for the next two weeks about the future of his job.

In the meantime, I've been dealing with Plan B ideas. Hopefully, if something happens, he can at least collect unemployment for a little while. I will have to watch our pennies even more carefully than usual.

Father, I have nothing but gratitude today for your kindness and mercy this past 24 hours. Please be with us throughout all the little details of this matter, and give us the strength and understanding to accept your will.

No comments: