Thursday, March 25, 2010

From the Cross to the Easter Bunny and Soccer Balls?


I'm not sure, but I think Christians might be the only group who commercialize their spiritual holidays to such a large degree. I was in Walmart this past week and I was stunned by what I saw in the "Easter baskets" displayed on the shelves.

I grew up with the Easter bunny concept, but the main focus in the 40s and 50s was on eggs. Eggs are a symbol of new life, so in a way, it was still all connected. Jelly beans were egg shaped, too, when I think about it.

Then came stuffed bunnies, which have nothing to do with eggs or with Easter. Easter is, dictionary-wise, a spiritual day.

This past week, I saw huge soccer balls, motorcycles, baby dolls, and more, in cellophane wrapped "Easter" baskets. How on earth does that relate to Easter? It looks suspiciously like Christmas gifts in Easter colors. I tried finding some photos online but could only find one, not the one I was looking for, but it still shows a little of what I'm worried about.

I'm not sure where I am going with this except to share my concern, my shock, and worry. I'm not blaming any retail store in general - they all sell these things. But I feel that adults who buy these for their children need to somehow find a connection that they can use to tie the gift-giving to Easter. That seems highly unlikely - how do you connect a basketball or a motorcycle with the Cross?

Heavenly Father, please forgive us for corrupting the day we originally set aside to commemorate the end of your son's suffering and the joy of his rising - the day of our own Salvation, and please inspire anyone and everyone who buys these items with a desire to take the time to share the spiritual meaning of the season with their children.

No comments: