Sunday, October 26, 2014

Christian and Jewish Views on Tithing

Now that I am on indoor antenna/analog-to-digital-converter-box TV, I am limited in Sunday morning viewing choices. This morning I accidentally tuned in to Rabbi Vitz Wyne’s show and he was discussing giving to charity.

After I watched the entire episode, I became interested in the fact that never once did he refer to giving as a “tithe.” He kept referring to it as “giving to charity.”

Another thing I noticed was a reference to how much to give. Most Christian discussions advise that we give 10% off the “top” - the gross. However, Rabbi Wyne seemed to be saying it should be the “net.” In one case, he said that if we get $4000 a month and after taxes, have $3500 a month, we should give away $350. 

I then took it a step further and did an online search regarding the difference in Christian and Jewish concepts in tithing. I especially found these two links of great help in understanding those differences, and to me they make sense.



I had been trying to focus on the “gross” method because Jesus advised that we give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God, what is God’s, and I felt that the gross was what I got and needed to give the Lord 10% off of that. 

However, I now realize that today’s life is different than it was in the days when Jesus walked our world. Back then, they received their income - money for crops, for services rendered, for wages. They gave taxes “after” they received their funds.

Today, we have no choice in most cases. Our taxes come out before we even see the funds, and we do not have a choice in that amount. That changes the picture somewhat.

Also, having checked the two discussions in the links above, I also have a slightly different impression of what is expected of me. So I come away with a mixed decision.

I will still attempt to tithe, but off the “net.” And I will deal with tangible income, not intangible “gifts” which was beginning to make me crazy in the head trying to figure that out. 

I also give in other ways - the little group of seniors who I organized five years ago in our mobile home park who lovingly crochet and knit things for our local needy, and I split some of my food pantry blessings with a neighbor who has great difficulty getting out to go shopping, and so on.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, help me to grow in understanding regarding what you expect of me, and the differences between that and what I should additionally freely give from my heart. I am grateful for the internet these days and for the easy access to discussions on your teachings. Please continue to guide me while I grow in this area of my life. And thank you for any blessing that comes my way, tangible or intangible, as well as those who send it my way.   

No comments: