Sunday, September 14, 2014

Quiet Day - Thinking About Jesus’ Life and Example



I was thinking a lot today. It was quiet in that I faced no new crisis. 

True, the Service-Engine-Soon light came on the dash on Thursday and I’m praying I can do two errands, Monday and Tuesday mornings, safely, without damaging the car further, and get it to the mechanic early Wednesday morning so he can check it. It often has sensor problems.  But nothing new popped up to be concerned about.

I was thinking a lot about some friends of mine. Several are in very bad situations. For some it is medical. For others, it is financial. For some, it is both.

The thing is - several of my friends will not seek social service types of help. In my case, I have applied for everything I am conceivably eligible for. Some programs turned me down; others signed me up.  I can’t expect God to help me unless I also try to help myself by taking advantage of all the resources he offers for us.

But I have some friends whose pride will not allow them to seek social service types of help. For some, the roadblock is opening up their income and/or banking info to the agencies. Well, unfortunately, getting help is often a trade-off. To get the help, we often need to give up some measure of privacy.

Today, it occurred to me that Jesus gave us an excellent example. In his pain and torment, carrying the cross to his death, he fell at one point and just could not get up. This was the Son of God. And yet, he did not let pride get in his way when help was offered by Simon from Cyrene. The way I figure it is that I certainly am not better than God’s own son. If help can be obtained via social services and various programs, I am willing to give up some measure of privacy.

In the meantime, I try everything else as well. I can no longer work on-site anywhere, due to my age and legs and stamina-level. But I try to sell my handmade items, and I cut back everywhere I can, expense-wise, and I drop all unessential services. Every week, I think of another way to cut costs.

Father, thank you for continually showing me ways to cut back and to find solutions to various problems. I can never thank you enough for all you’ve done for me. Knowing you are there for me is often the only thing keeping me sane and keeping me going. It is my blessing; it is my joy.
 

No comments: